Directed by: Stephen Weeks
Country: UK, 1974
Running Time: 83 minutes + Extras
Other Titles: Madhouse Mansion
Revered, misunderstood and oft-discussed, Stephen Weeks' rarely seen 1974 dreamlike chiller is the absolute definition of a cult British Horror film. Set in 1920’s England it tells of three former public schoolmates, Larry Dann (The Bill), Murray Melvin (The Devils) and the enigmatic Vivian Mackerell (the inspiration for Bruce Robinson's creation 'Withnail', seen here in his only major screen role), who reunite in a country mansion haunted by the spirit of insane former resident Marianne Faithfull (Girl On a Motorcycle). The haunting transports them to a surreal world of demonic dolls, sadistic doctors, incest and murder.
Hammer fans will see Barbara Shelley (Dracula Prince Of Darkness) and Leigh Lawson (Hammer House Of Horror), among the cast, 'cult TV' enthusiasts will recognise Anthony Bate (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Beasts), and sitcom lovers will enjoy a cameo from Penelope Keith (The Good Life, To The Manor Born).
This combination of 1970’s Britsploitation and 1920’s quaintness, realised perfectly by Weeks and soundtracked by Pink Floyd collaborator Ron Geesin, have made Ghost Story legendary. Now, for the first time on DVD Nucleus Films proudly presents this pristine 2-disc collectors’ edition including “Ghost Stories”, an in depth featurette about the curious tale about the making of the film, an audio commentary, a trailer and a selection of Weeks' fascinating early shorts and commercials.
"There are scenes which scared the living daylights out of me... it is compelling and often very scray"
- Graham Jones, The Guardian
"This is like a vintage P.G. Wodehouse story as it might have been ghosted by Edgar Allen Poe"
- Marjorie Billbow, Cinema Today
"A neat, atmospheric horror movie... like Citizen Kane in colour: low angles, bravura cutting, sumptuous gothic interiors"
- Nigel Andres, Financial Times
Special Features, Disc 1:
- Widescreen (1.85:1) Presentation Enhanced for Widescreen TVs
- English 2.0 Mono
- Audio Commentary with Director Stephen Weeks, Moderated by Professor Samuel Umland
- Theatrical Trailer
- Optional English Subtitles
Special Features, Disc 2:
- Ghost Stories - an all-new 72 minute featurette including interviews with Director/Producer Stephen Weeks, Actors Larry Dann and Murray Melvin, British Horror Icon Barbara Shelley and composer (and Pink Floyd collaborator) Ron Geesin, with comments from critic Kim Newman.
- Alternate opening credits sequence
- Stephen Weeks' The Making of Ghost Story (.pdf)
- Stephen Weeks' My Early Films (.pdf)
- Terror, Tweed & Tiffin Essay by Darius Drewe Shimon (.pdf)
- Original Press Book (.pdf)
- The Chelsea Cobbler store commercial
And these previously unseen Stephen Weeks short films:
- Owen's War (1965 / B+W / 10m)
- Deserted Station (1965 / B+W / 7m)
- The Camp (1965 / B+W / 4m)
- Moods of a Victorian Church (1967 / Colour / 9m)
- Two At Thursday (1968 / B+W / 10m)
- 1917 (1968 / Colour / 35m) - the lost Tigon film!
- Flesh (1969 / Colour / 3m)
Marianne Faithfull, Leigh Lawson, Anthony Bate, Larry Dann, Sally Grace, Penelope Keith, Vivian MacKerrell, Murray Melvin, Barbara Shelley, Elsie Randolph.